Monday, October 03, 2005

Chess is Fattening

So all weekend I was a good boy. Well, I wasn't exactly saintly, but I was sure a lot better behaved than I have been for several weekends before. I check the scales this morning only to find that I have gained 3.5 since last Thursday. I racked my brains and finally recalled that I spent Saturday afternoon watching the World Chess Championships on the internet (Didn't you?).

I have come to the inescapable conclusions that chess makes you fat. This explains why all those guys at the chess club are the size of bloated gorillas. Naively, I had assumed it had something to do with their diet of pork rinds, cheeseburgers, and Oreos (taken in equal proportion). Now I know better. It's the chess that puts on the pounds.

It's too bad because in so many other ways chess makes you irresistible to the opposite sex.

4 Comments:

Blogger CelticDeath said...

But, then how do you explain why everyone at the San Luis tournament are pretty much skinny (except for Judit who's kind of a chunkster - but, hey, she had a baby not too long ago)?

1:28 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

"It's too bad because in so many other ways chess makes you irresistible to the opposite sex."

This is TRUE!!! I was wondering if I was the only one to think this. I can't explain why, though.

Is it that we tend to be brainy?

Is it our kill or be killed attitudes that thrill?

Is it that we seem to be in tune with some arcana that many just don't get?

Is it our disciplined study methods or our passion?

I can't explain it, but I have seen this myself!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

I was actually being ironic since chess is so awfully geeky. The more that I think about it thought, I realize there is some truth to it. When I think back to college, it is ture that most women found it interesting that I was such a committed chess player. I think it had to do with the fact that my love of such a non-cool pastime showed that I knew who I was and didn't give a rat's butt what people thought.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Yes, and I don't think Topalov counts since I'm no longer sure he's a human being.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home