Thursday, May 31, 2007

The last 5 lbs

Weighed in yesterday. It was a wrestler's drop 4 lbs the day before type affair. I was at 175.2 on Weight Watcher's scale, 172.5 on mine.

As I have mentioned several times before, I'd like to get out of the drop 4-5 lbs at the end of the month thing.

There are many tricks do get the last few lbs off:

1) Weigh in in running shorts, rather than normal pants. ( -1 lb)
2) Weigh in before you've eaten or drunk anything that day ( -1.5 to -2.0 lbs)
3) Weigh in after a run (- 1 lb or more)
4) Skip dinner the night before ( - 1 lb)

Back when I was going to Weight Watcher's every week, I wouldn't really use any tricks because what was the point? I'd just have to do the same thing next week. But I did use the tricks to take care of the last 4-5 lbs. In the past year, I have been treading water right around the same weight which menas I still haven't lost that last 5 lbs.

To so this would take a significant amount of effort. Diet would have to change and exercise would have to become more rigorous. I'd have to stay on task for about 2 months I figure. That's a fair piece of discipline for the privilege of knowing my weight is "truly" 5 lbs lower.

Exercise may be the key. One of the reasons I want the last 5 to go is I want to fit a bit more comfortably in the 34's pants. Slimming the waist, regardless of impact on weight, will be good for this.

I'm still not ready to push my chips in on this one, but I'm thinking about it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Half Man said...

Sorry, I am confused. Have you dropped 5lbs. or maintained or you have dropped the usual 5lbs. which always comes back during the month.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Good news. Maybe not more rigorous, but definitely more varied. If you just run the problem is you get better at running; more efficient. As a result running starts burning fewer calories for you. Add in a second type of activity as well and you might be surprised at the change.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Sir Half the Man -- It gets confusing, but here goes.

My official weight watchers goal weight is 177 lbs. I reached that weight about a year ago. I now have to go to Weight Watchers once per month to weigh in. So long as my weight stays under 179 (i.e. my goal weight plus a 2 lb buffer) I continue to be a Weight Watchers lifetime member.

The truth of the matter is that even though I have weighed in every month below the 179 marker, my weight is usually around 184. I just take those last 5 lbs off right at the end of the month. I did the same thing the first time I made my goal at Weight Watchers -- i.e. artificially made my weight lower by skipping a meal and weighing in lighter clothes. I sort of "cheated" to get those last five lbs off.

Now here's the confusing part. Most of the time when I talk about my weight, I'm talking about my home scale weight. My home scale registers about 3-4 lbs lower than Weight Watchers' scale.

OK now, here's the doubly confusing part. I usually weigh myself on the home scale first thing in the morning, and my Weight Watchers weigh in was usually at about 5 PM. Typically I weigh a couple of lbs more at the end of the day.

I'm just getting tired of pulling tricks to get that last 5 lbs to disappear at the end of the month, but not so much that I've done anything about it.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Joel -- This is how people end up cyclists, isn't it? (Well, that and the knees going). Do I have to wear the neon colored clothing?

6:16 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

No, but it must be "close fitting." This above all else is the incentive to maintain a respectable shape. For those who just can't pull off the lycra look, we have mountain biking. Deer are generally very discreet.

11:48 AM  
Blogger ArleneWKW said...

What is the weight at which you would feel best about yourself? If you really did get rid of those final 5 pounds, you'd have to take in fewer calories to maintain the loss than to maintain your weight of 184. You can eat slightly more or exercise slightly less at 184 than your could at 179. Would the 179 weight be worth it to you? Also, at this point, having maintained your weight loss for a year, how important is the monthly WW weigh in to you?

1:51 PM  
Blogger "The Captain" said...

Don,
I just wanted to stop by and say Hi. I hope everything is going well for you.
Jeff

3:15 PM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Arlene,

Good questions. What's the freaking difference between 184 and 179? (Actually, the numbers are more like 182 and 177.) Weight is just a number, so why pick one and say "this is OK" and another and say "this is not".

For me, this is similar to the penny paradox-- "One penny does not make a poor man rich. But if you keep giving pennies to a poor man, at some point he will become a rich man."

I have a draw a line somewhere. I have drawn it at 177 at Weight watchers since that means my actual body weight is about 174 lbs which puts me precisely at the top end of a healthy BMI. It is an arbitrary line but it helps me keep focus.

The Weight Watchers meetings are essential for me since this is the primary thing that keeps me working on keeping my weight in check. I still need Weight Watchers to hold me to task.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sir Fluffy said...

Hello, I would like to become a Knight. (Sir Fluffy) I've been reading through the other knights blogs (And I may have already posted a request to join, I'm not sure because my internet is being iffy.)

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home