Tuesday, May 01, 2007

1YAM

That's 1 Year at Maintenance weight.

Weighed in my local weight watcher meeting on Saturday. 177 on the button. That makes it a year at goal weight. This is good, but I'm still living in a off the diet/ on the diet duality. I gain weight in the beginning of the month and lose it at the end so I can "make weight". The cycles are getting smaller though, so this is progress.


New Knight
I warm, if somewhat belated, welcome to Sir Half the Man. He emailed me a ways back, but I have been a slacker. Glad I finally got around to it because he's kicking ass and taking names. Looks like he lost 50 lbs in 13 weeks. Way to to go. Welcome Sir Knight and well met.

Anyone else I've forgotten to add to the list, please just post in the comments of this post.


SpiderMan Opens Around the Blog World
Spider63 seems on a mission to combat obesity by posting agressive encouragement/ tough love comments on every blog on the Internet. In a causal search, I see he had tagged Sir Twice the Man, Lady Lean, and Tim the Exercise Oracle. Reactions are mixed. While some people applaud his tactics, others suggest they are less than helpful. I thought I'd weigh in on the topic because ... umm ... I dunno ... because controversy is fun.

Change is hard. For some reason, we are wired to continue doing whatever the hell we did yesterday. Every so often change is forced upon us, and we have no choice but to change. These are trying times, but we come through them because we have no other choice. It is even harder to make a change when we do have a choice.

There is nothing to stop us from eating in unhealthy ways. In fact, the opposite is true. There is an entire culturural/corporate complex out there which encourages us to consume unhealthy foods in unhealthy quantities. In order to change, we have to really want to change because it will take a whole lot of effort and a whole lot of time. Personally, I have lost weight and kept it off, but I have not yet changed. I am still compelled by food. I may have kept my desires under control for some time (about 2 years now), but I am a long way away from saying I've changed.

Is tough love part of this process? Yes. I think so, but it has to come from a select few individuals -- namely, those people whom you know love you. Unless someone is sure of your love for them, I wouldn't deal them any "tough love". I have received a dose here and there from my wife and Tim, the Exercise Oracle (whom I've know since I was 8). Mostly they held up a mirror to my face and said,"This is what you look like when you're saying this. Do you believe it, cuz I don't?"

I also believe in honesty. When people ask for an opinion, I think it is a good idea to give them an honest one. When I do, I try to remember the words from a Quaker hymm, "Speak truth in a loving way". (I seem to be big on love today.) This is hard since the temptation is just to soften what you mean to say so you won't hurt the person's feelings. In my experience, it has less to do with what you say and more to do with the feeling you have when you say it. And it is always better when someone asked me for my opinion in the first place.

12 Comments:

Blogger "The Captain" said...

You made a good choice with sir half the man. He hit the 50 lb mark. Wow!!!
Jeff

10:01 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

You've inspired me. There is now a new Tim post. Read at your own peril!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Half Man said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Half Man said...

Wow! Good Job on 1YAM. I am honored to be knighted into the esteemed order of the Knights of the Round Bottoms. I pledge to uphold chivalry in weight loss and undying effort in excercise as I quest for the holy grail of living a fit lifestyle.

p.s. I deleted the typo-ed version of this post =)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Apex Zombie said...

Hi Lord Chubbalot. I'm an avid reader of both Sir Man Boobs' blogs (Ramblings and Hundredweight) and noticed the Knights of the Round Bottoms links. I've asked Sir Man Boobs about joining, read the FAQ, and now I'm asking you if it would be possible to join the Knights of the Round Bottoms.

My weight loss blog is http://thefatlazyguyslog.blogspot.com

If possible, I'd like the name Sir Fat Lazy Guy

Thanks.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I think your point about tough love is well made - it's something that can only come from someone who is close and who truly cares, otherwise it's just an excuse to be cruel.

- sorry about the cock-up in the comments- I thought I was commenting on sir Half the Man's site

3:32 AM  
Blogger ArleneWKW said...

Two years of maintenance. Highly impressive. Re. still being somewhat psychologically caught up in the diet paradigm, I think that is almost inevitable when you alter such a basic lifestyle change as major weight loss. Hopefully this will mellow as your years of maintenance accumulate. to the extent that it doesn't, you're earning victory points.

11:38 PM  
Blogger "The Captain" said...

When we getting a new post.
Jeff

6:48 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

I have come to the conclusion that it is difficult to give tough love. Some people like it, and some people don't. I don't want to give tough love to those who are adverse to it. So I am trying to approach the issue with less zeal. I have no interest in de-motivating anyone.

I certainly respect the feelings of those who think that tough love is abusive or cruel. However, as Shakespeare wrote, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much..."

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home