Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Cheating

Key to every strict regimen is the ground rules for what is acceptable cheating. As is my custom, I am making up the rules as I go along. Up until this Saturday, I would say there was only minimal cheating on my part. I occasionally would have something that contained a little refined sugar just because it was convenient and once a ran only 45 minutes with the rationalization that I would stretch for 15 minutes afterwards (bad idea). These were minor offenses.

This Saturday I decided to "take the night off" which meant I skipped running and drank beer. This is clearly a felony cheat. I went with the rationalization that it was in tribute to 20 straight days on the plan. Lame at best, but I was in a pissy mood.

I'm glad I cheated though. I had become increasingly focused on the exercise and weight loss part of this and that is not entirely the point. Sadly, I'm not sure exacly what is the point, but it has something to do with change. It's not so much that I want to eat better and take better care of myself as that I want to want that. A night of cheating somehow reminded me of this. Go figure.

Went for a very nice run last night. Though the weight loss continues it's pokey descent, my fitness is improving dramatically. Ran the original 60 minute loop in 48:15, thereby knocking 3 minutes off last week's time. Nice to see such definitive results when it feels like I keep waddling around the block and have nothing ot show for it except very tired quadriceps. (Note to self: Too many staircases in my world.). I clocked 11 min/mile over 5 miles which is great for me. I shall be very pleased when I break 10 min/mile and can officially say I'm running, not jogging.

23 days down, 77 to go
Weight: 198.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home