Monday, August 28, 2006

In the home ... shrink

Got to face the music with a Weight Watchers weigh in sometime before Thursday, the last day of the month. This morning the home scale read 175.5. Now, here's where the fun begins.

1) My goal weight is 177, but I am allowed a 2 lb margin, so anything below 179.1 finishes in the money.

2) My home scale reads 3 lbs less than WW. No way around that. This makes my WW weight 178.5.

3) At home, I am buck naked (at least when I weigh myself and when we have the in-laws to dinner). It is impossible to wear clothing that weighs less than a pound. WW = 179.5. Normal clothing weighs about 2.5 lbs (WW 181), so weigh in in normal clothing is right out!

4) I weigh myself at home first thing in the morning. I usually weigh in at WW after work. After work weight is usually 1 lb more than wake up weight. WW = 180.5.

So here's the plan. Hit 174 on the morning scale by Wednesday morning. Pack shorts and T-shirt to put on after work. Weigh in after work at the 6PM Weds meeting.

Any questions?

Isn't it cheating to weigh in wearing shorts?
Mind your own business! Maybe I just feel like going barefoot and topless in a very small pair of running shorts as a fashion choice.


Why not weigh in at a meeting first thing in the morning?
Feels like cheating and is a pain in the butt.

Isn't this "cheating" definition rather subjective?
Yes

What if you are still a few lbs short Wednesday after work?
I could do a quick run. That will usually take off 1.5 lbs. It's water weight, but good enough.

Oh come on now. That's got to be cheating!
You never go running after work? You really should; it's very refreshing.

Wouldn't it be better to just let the numbers come out however they do honestly and then take whatever corrective action is required? Wouldn't that be the more responsible, long-term view?
Yes

So that's what you're going to do?
No.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Put a garbage bag on under your clothes, plastic on bare skin. You'll sweat like a pig. Might smell a little. Might leave unpleasant puddles everywhere, but you'll make weight.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

That's truly hardcore! I'm proud to know you.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I understand completely. You're fighting your fight, and you know when you have to work hard on it. But you don't want to have to show every little mistake in a highly critical public place.

I'd probably be tempted to do exactly the same thing.

In the end, however, I'd probably be too lazy and would rather put up with the sneers rather than go for the run.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Actually, I think I wouldn't mind so much missing the WW goal. 1-2 lbs never makes you fat or skinny, but if I don't pick a definite line somewhere I can keep sliding. For me, it is good to stretch to hit arbitrary short term goals. I just have to make sure I don't get stuck in the wrestler's hell of making weight artificially as a habit.

1:49 PM  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

2 pounds doesn't give you very much leeway.....even 3 pounds would be better.

5:38 PM  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Yikes...2 pounds isn't much leeway.

Even 3 pounds would be tough.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home