Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Words

Language exerts hidden power, like a moon on the tides.
-Rita Mae Brown


According to my scale this morning, I am "below average". The average Amercian male between the ages of 30-39 weighs 184 pounds. My home scale puts me slightly below that. I'm not usually that fond of being below average, but I rather like it in this case.

It was another word that got me started on this particular effort -- obese. At 211 pounds, I was classified as obese according to the Body Mass Index. I wouldn't say that was the only reason I started losing weight, but it is probably the single most significant. Though only a word, I was willing to make changes in my life to avoid it.

I should strive to reach a weigh to 174 lbs. Unfortunately, the word for that is "normal". Though a good thing medically, I've never taken to that word. In fact, I rather dislike being referred to as normal. I'd much rather be below-average, abnormally not obese.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I'm not sure normal works anyway, when a weight of 174 places you in the 37th percentile. If 63% of the population has a higher BMI than you, aren't you the abnormal one?

-Tim

11:27 AM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

I might be able to settle for "unusually normal" or perhaps the more prosaic "healthy". Nonetheless, my goal is to hit and hold at 177. Someday I might quest for lower, but not any time soon.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home