Monday, August 08, 2005

Monday and I'm out of points

The basic idea behind my program is you have a budget of "points" to use for bad food. Weight watchers gives you a little cardboard points slide rule. Through a complex mathematical process, I have derived the points formula for your benefit.

Points = Round ( [(calories - (grams of fiber * 10))/50] + grams of fat/12)

You get 35 points per week, approx 1750 calories. I ran through 22 on Friday. We had friends over and wine adds 'em up fast. Between a dinner at in-laws on Sat and a couple of lite beers last night, I'm all out. It doesn't mean I have to stop eating. I can eat as much as I need to feel satified, but it has to be good stuff. Yikes, it's nothing but whole grains, veggies, fruit, and lean meat until Thursday night.

I find that I'm liking the veggies. Who knew?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pawnsensei said...

I'm curious to hear from someone who has tried the crystal meth program.

PS

2:22 PM  
Blogger fussylizard said...

Hey Don, long time no see!

My wife did WW a bit and the biggest thing I learned is just understanding how many calories were in certain foods. This allowed me to cut out things that were high points that I didn't really miss. A good example- McDonald's breakfast burritos. I used to get them once a week before an early morning meeting. They tasted good and all, but when I found out that two were 15 points (!), over half my daily allotment, I quit getting them. Do I miss them? Not a bit.

I try to look at what I eat that is not good for me that I wouldn't really miss. Eliminating those helps a lot. My real weakness is Dr. Pepper. Right now I'm down to 1 can a day. I figured out that if I drink half a can in the morning, and rhe rest of it after lunch, I can go from two cans to one without feeling like I'm making much of a sacrifice.

Anyway, good luck on your quest, sir knight!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Pawn, the crystal meth program is very expensive and meets at an inconvenient location with lots of gunfire. I decided not to do it it now, but am considering it if Weight Watchers doesn't work out.

Fussy, I suppose you don't like diet Dr. Pepper. How did the program turn out for you?

I too have been getting an education about the calories in certain foods. I have a pretty good sense of which foods are "good" and "bad", but I am realizing that I don't have a sense of how good and how bad. I have not been able to find the caloric content of a 24 oz Arrogant Bastard Ale. My guess is that it will require scientific notation.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home